Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Sinner Like Me



" Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5 NKJV

My oldest son, Max, had to memorize this verse for Good News Club this week.  What a great verse for the month of November! A reminder to be thankful, to not covet, that God will supply all our needs and never leave us.  Not only did it bless me beyond belief to see and hear my son work so hard to memorize this verse, but we were able to have a great conversation about what it actually meant.  I am so thankful that, at least this time, I chose to put aside my to-do list and join in fellowship with my child.  I so often get caught up in what I "need" to do, that I often overlook what I actually should be doing.   I talked with Max about what covetousness meant and he immediately grew sheepish at the realization. "You mean like me?" he said. "Like how I want everything I see on TV for Christmas?"  "Like all of us", I said. I was able to re-assure him that we all sin, we all struggle, we all covet...at times.  And that Jesus died for us anyway. He knew we would sin and struggle. He knew it would be messy. He knew we needed Him, even when we didn't. 

As I tucked Him in that night, I thanked God for Max's love for others, his passion for The Word, his longing to understand it and the ability that I have as his mom to help him.  I prayed that this Truth would be hidden in his heart for all time and that he could share it with others. 

I was able to approach the subject again the next night after we packed shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child. I was able to remind him that there are people in this world that are less fortunate than we are. Children whose only Christmas gifts were what we packed in that little box. I am thankful we have been able to participate in this ministry and I would encourage you to do the same. It has been a blessing to our entire family and an amazing opportunity to share the love of Christ with children around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment