Thursday, November 17, 2011

Making Time

"I can't mom, I'm too busy."  This is the current favorite phrase of my 3 year old, Logan.  Now, I would love to pass the buck on this one as I have when he says things like, "stupid", idiot" or "whatever", but I can't. He has most definitely heard it from me...probably 100 times today already. 

Being the micro-manager, perfectionist, organizer that I am, I live off of my to-do lists and calendar just to survive the day-to-day.  I have a need to stay on top of things.  I wouldn't say it's a healthy need, as a matter of fact a lot of times it is just plain sin.  I confess that I often treat my husband and children like just another item on my list. "Here's your milk, breakfast, newspaper, fill-in-the-blank" and move on. Missing the opportunity for fellowship, potential memories and essential bonding moments.  I am with them, but not present for them.  I treat loved ones as distractions rather than blessings. Ouch.

You see, my life seems to be running at warp speed these days. Max will be 9 soon, Logan is a busy 3 year old and Maggie is already 7.5 months. Her first birthday is right around the corner and most of the last year has been a blur. I don't feel like I can stop or slow down. I just know that as soon as I do the wheels are going to fall off the wagon.  I have got to stay on top of what I can control.  The problem with this theory is that it assumes I am in control. I am not. God is the author and creator of my life and I am just along for the ride, so why don't I just sit back & enjoy it already!?!  I know, I know. Asking you isn't really going to help, but it was rhetorical anyway.

I have, however, been asking the One who has all the answers. Praying for guidance and wisdom to see when I fail in this area and to help me get better everyday. He has been faithful. He shows me how to slow down and live for each moment in things my children say, songs on the radio, books, blogs, chats with friends...the list is endless. He is so good to me and I am learning. It may be slow, but I am growing and my family is thriving. I am learning to be present and intentional. To count my blessings and savor each one. 

So today as I make beds, make excuses, make plans, make mistakes and make dinner I also resolve to make time. To slow down and be intentional about the things that fill my time and demand my attention.  I hope you will, too!

Please check out the blog A Holy Experience  by Ann Voskamp. She is an amazing writer and I am blessed beyond words by the honesty I find there.  She has also written a book titled, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are that touches on this issue.  How to really slow down and enjoy the gifts in everyday.  To seek out the beautiful in the mundane, You will not be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment